Welcome!

AdminAdmin AdministratorJoined: July 2006Posts: 195
edited May 2015
Welcome to the brand new Daily Fantasy Talk forum!

Our goal is to provide an environment where people can discuss fantasy sports (particularly daily fantasy) like they've been doing for decades with sports betting -- from a +EV perspective. Let's do this by sharing lineups, discussing strategy, dissecting game/contest types, posting relevant news/weather, and anything else you can think of.

The daily fantasy sports industry has exploded over the past few years, but it's our belief that it will only continue to grow, and with that growth should come more +EV opportunities. So let's help each other make some money!

Also, if you're new to daily fantasy sports and want to get started, make sure to check out BiggerBonus.com, which is quite simply the best bonus site you'll find in the industry.

A few other notes...

- All of our regular forum posting rules apply to this forum as well. (Especially Nos. 1-5 on that list.
- Although we're emphasizing daily fantasy sports, feel free to discuss your +EV strategy for season-long leagues as well. (It's never too early to start talking about fantasy football.)
- Those who demonstrate value on this forum could be asked to take on a bigger role in the future.
- Don't feel like you need to be any sort of "expert" to post on this forum. It is open to all, and we want it to be a welcoming place to learn and improve.

So let's get started by just replying to this thread with your background in fantasy sports. (How long have you been playing? Which sports are your best? Season-long, daily, or both? If daily, which sites do you like best?)

We're looking forward to seeing where this goes, and hope you feel the same way.
OSUBrownsFan

Comments

• cea8010cea8010 Junior Member Joined: June 2014Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    I've been playing fantasy sports over half my life, yikes! I've been playing since 1994, and play mostly fantasy football and basketball. My preference is fantasy football and I usually field 3-5 money teams a year. I tried out some daily fantasy football/basketball earlier this year as well.

I'm already looking forward to the 2014 fantasy football season and am trying to figure out the real value of Arian Foster this year, as I have him in a keeper league and can't figure out what his expected performance will be this year, and also, what his expected draft range will be. Any thoughts out there?
  • Cenger66Cenger66 Junior Member Joined: June 2014Posts: 17
    edited June 2014
    I started playing fantasy football in 2004 as a 14 year old on yahoo with my dial up internet connection in my parent's basement. 10 years later I have 4 yearly football leagues I'm active in, 2 baseball and an NBA. Still haven't gotten into fantasy hockey.

I started DFS about 9 months ago and have made a little over 8k working my way up from $2 to $5 to $12 and now I have 3 or 4 entries into the $27 10k GTD on draftkings every night.

I'd say my best sports are football and baseball but I enjoy daily pga as well.
  • nuddernudder Senior Member Joined: June 2014Posts: 328
    edited June 2014
    I've been playing fantasy football for about a decade now and consider it my best (only?) sport, but never do more than two leagues just because of time commitment. I'm interested in DFS as an alternative hobby and a way to make some money once I know what I'm doing. I signed up awhile back but have mostly just floundered up and down doing the 50/50's in baseball (MLB isn't exactly a strength of mine and seems incredibly random on a day-to-day basis, but I know there has to be a way to be +EV in it). I'll be wanting to use this place to learn more and hopefully become more profitable.

Also cea8010, in regards to arian foster, i think that'll depend on the reports in training camp and your keeper structure. (like is it a snake league or auction, and what price do you pay for keepers? i.e. what are you giving up to keep him, and what are your other options?) But that might be a discussion for another thread.
  • drewbydrewby Fantasy Expert Joined: June 2014Posts: 385
    edited June 2014
    I've been playing fantasy football for the past 7 or so years and have a full year under my belt of Daily Fantasy Sports. I was fortunate enough to strike down a couple large GPP tournaments during my first couple weeks that allowed me to play with my models until I got a good baseline strategy under my belt. IMO it is much easier to be +EV in DFS than gambling since you're competing against humans, not supercomputers. Though it gets a lot tougher if you want to get enough action to make it a full-time gig. Play similar stakes to Cenger66 but unfortunately the dog days of summer limit my play due to sport selection.

Hoping to keep paying taxes in 2014 ;) I focus primarily on NFL, NHL and PGA games -- I think it's important that you follow the sports you play closely enough to infer where your data or projections need a gut check.
  • nuddernudder Senior Member Joined: June 2014Posts: 328
    edited June 2014
    drewby;846373 said:
    I've been playing fantasy football for the past 7 or so years and have a full year under my belt of Daily Fantasy Sports. I was fortunate enough to strike down a couple large GPP tournaments during my first couple weeks that allowed me to play with my models until I got a good baseline strategy under my belt. IMO it is much easier to be +EV in DFS than gambling since you're competing against humans, not supercomputers. Though it gets a lot tougher if you want to get enough action to make it a full-time gig. Play similar stakes to Cenger66 but unfortunately the dog days of summer limit my play due to sport selection.

Hoping to keep paying taxes in 2014 ;) I focus primarily on NFL, NHL and PGA games -- I think it's important that you follow the sports you play closely enough to infer where your data or projections need a gut check.
    Good stuff. So do you think GPP is a good way to try to build that immediate bankroll rather than grinding out H2H and 50/50's, or are you just glad you got "fortunate" when you started out?
  • drewbydrewby Fantasy Expert Joined: June 2014Posts: 385
    edited June 2014
    Great question, and sorry if I was misleading. I had a balanced approach, but was just fortunate to win a big one. To do that, even with the right approach, you have to have some luck. It is similar to managing a stock portfolio and entirely dependent on your appetite for risk. A balanced approach for somebody with a $1,000 NFL bankroll might be:
    -$100 in play each week
    -75% in 50/50's and H2Hs.
    -15% in small 10-20 person tournaments
    -10% in GPPs and large field tournaments

Obviously, if you have a higher appetite for risk you can shift that if you want. I also prefer to play multiple lineups to reduce variance (e.g. 2 $5 tourneys instead of a $10). All topics which could cover be an entirely independent section of the forum.
  • datafreakdatafreak Junior Member Joined: November 2010Posts: 5
    edited June 2014
    drewby;846381 said:
    Great question, and sorry if I was misleading. I had a balanced approach, but was just fortunate to win a big one. To do that, even with the right approach, you have to have some luck. It is similar to managing a stock portfolio and entirely dependent on your appetite for risk. A balanced approach for somebody with a $1,000 NFL bankroll might be:
    -$100 in play each week
    -75% in 50/50's and H2Hs.
    -15% in small 10-20 person tournaments
    -10% in GPPs and large field tournaments

Obviously, if you have a higher appetite for risk you can shift that if you want. I also prefer to play multiple lineups to reduce variance (e.g. 2 $5 tourneys instead of a $10). All topics which could cover be an entirely independent section of the forum.
    Would you recommend a similar approach for daily baseball?